|The following solutions may prove useful in resolving the problem described within this page.
Many seemingly memory problems are sometimes problems coming from other
components. If you see error messages on the monitor as the system boots up, be sure to
write the message down for reference later in troubleshooting.
Memory problems can come from brand new computers. When this is the case, you'll need
to troubleshoot the computer as a whole. In this case, contacting your PC's support will be
your first line of defense.
- If The Computer Fails To Boot: If you installed new ram memory and your system fails to boot up, check to be
sure the memory modules are completely installed. It may be that they are not fully seated
in their banks.
- Check the same even if your computer is brand new. Installation at the factory often lead to
computer failure by employees making mistakes when computer assembly is done.
- If Computer boots but the screen is blank: this is another symptom of loose
- Another cause may be you are installing the wrong type of memory: This problem can also be caused by video display problems. If the monitor brightness and
contrast are turned down,the blank screen will be the result. And a loose or uninstalled
video card will produce the same failure.
- If Computer Produces Error Codes: write the code or codes down and look up
the codes in your user manual or support web site. If you install mismatched memory
chips, certain error codes will appear.
- If PC boots but all memory not recognized: check to see if you installed the
right type of memory. Again, even if the computer is new, verify this by contacting your
PC support by phone,or email.
- "General-Protection Faults" Errors are caused when two or more
software programs are trying to use the same memory address. In most cases, simply
rebooting the computer will correct this.
Memory Testing Software Utilities
Memory problems are sometimes caused by other components in the system unit. Dirty and corroded slots can produce memory bank problems.
There are some good ram memory testing software that you can download when you suspect your system is having memory problems. MemMXTest is a utility to test memory.
Gold Memory is a neat stand alone memory testing shareware at
and you can use it free for the first 30 days. After
that you will need to register the software for just $24.00.
Brain Check is an online memory test site
where, after you sign up for an account, you can scan your computer's memory in the
hopes of detecting early ram memory problems.
Open your computer's system unit and locate the ram memory. Do you know what type it
is. Do you have the user manual readily available should you need to quickly identify your